Blackwell Genealogy

| John Blackwell 1775 |
George Blackwell 1801 | Children of George Blackwell 1801 |
| John Blackwell | Children of John Blackwell |
George Blackwell Jr. | Children of George Blackwell |
| Henry Blackwell | Children of Henry Blackwell |
| William Blackwell | Children of William Blackwell |
| Menu | Surnames | Memoir-Surnames | Maps | Numbers | Info, Census, Links | Lois Twitchell Memoirs |
Overview | Previous | Page Finder |
Twichell | Seaver | Field | Barradell | McGannon | Downing | Byford | King | McNeil | Melfort Jrs | VanLoon | Cohoes | Larkey | Mackenzie |

John H. Mackenzie - From: History of McLeod County and Newspaper Accounts      Mackenzie Lineage Below   Interesting Family Information

Mackenzie Page 1    Mackenzie Page 2    Mackenzie Page 3    Mackenzie Page 4
                                                                      The Connection and stories of
                                                                                               Adventure through the Indian Wars

Details of John H. Mackenzie  1831            Information provided by Dale Mackenzie and Marilee Larkey
John H Mackenzie abt 1862  

ohn H. Mackenzie was born 12 June, 1831 at Hoag's Hollow (Near Montreal, Canada)
   He was descended from Scottish ancestry. 
His father took part in the Canadian rebellion, forcing him to flee to the
   United States in 1841 and was followed by his family.  Leaving Canada, they went to Du Page Co., Ill. and took up
   farming.  Following that, they moved to Ogle Co., Ill.  When John was fifteen he ran away from home, working in
   Du Page Co., but ended up returning home.  In 1850 he came to Minnesota with the John Stevens party by way of
   Wisconsin.  The party settled in the area of Itasca.  It was here that John hired on with a Mr. Thomas Holmes, an
   Indian Trader.  Later, John himself became an Indian Trader and built a home at what is now Eden Prairie, Hennepin
   Co., Minnesota; not far from Shakopee.  In 1855 he came back to Illinois and married Mary Jane Trumble.  It was
   about this time that John had lost all of his possessions, including some 1214 lots in Minnesota.  He returned to
   Minnesota that same fall.  John wrote of his experiences in Hutchinson: (Below)


 Mackenzie Lineage Below
John H. Mackenzie's time in Hutchinson, Minnesota
John H. Mackenzie's time in Hutchinson, Minnesota - In his words. 

John H. Mackenzie

John H. Mackenzie - In his own words

    "About the middle of June, 1856, I took two yoke of oxen and a wagon and my two brothers, William and Robert and drove from Lake Minnetonka to Hutchinson over the same roundabout road I had passed earlier in the spring.  We drove into Hutchinson and camped.  Several log cabins then constituted the village.  We went out east of town, took a claim, made hay and prepared for the winter.  This done, I went back to Illinois and brought my family to Hutchinson.  I moved into a house in Hutchinson, which stood on the north side of the river; it was built of popple logs, contained two rooms, and was shingled with clap-boards.  The house had been built by Uncle Hook, a daring old pioneer for whom Lake Hook, four miles north of Hutchinson was afterwards named.  The following winter my family occupied one end of this house while the other end was occupied by Timothy Harrison Pendergast and his cousin, Solomon Pendergast.  That winter was a bitter cold winter and many interesting incidents broke the monotony of our lives.  Solomon Pendergast trapped and caught wolves in sight of the house that winter.  Solomon Pendergast followed trapping animals of all kinds.  That winter, he taught James A. Mackenzie, my younger brother, how to trap otter and the next spring my brother trapped one in Crow river, both above  and below the villages, and in Lake Hook, Lake Todd and Otter lake about two miles north of Hutchinson.  Here, Pitt Shattuck, my brother-in-law, and I killed a fine black bear that had denned up for the winter within eighty rods of my  house"

    "At the time, the country was celebrated for its great quantities of wild game.  The fur bearing game consisted of otter, mink, muskrat, sable, fox, wolf, and fisher, and many other kind which I will not stop to recall at this time.  Around all the lakes were will-beaten paths, made by the deer, moose, and other game and around these same lakes, ducks, geese, brants, and swans and other water fowls built their nests and reared their young.  All of these lakes and streams abounded with large fresh water fish, among which were the buffalo, sheephead, bass and perch, sometimes called lake trout.  In the spring of 1857, the boys in Hutchinson built a fish dam across Crow river and caught great quantities of large fish, some of the buffalo fish weighing over 100 pounds.  During the winter of 1856 and 1857, the few settlers of Hutchinson spent their time hauling butternut, basswood, oak and elm, to the Hutchinson saw mill.  Among the people employed in the lumber business was Jack Deeder, the sawyer, who never failed to call the attention of people to his fine straight work and advised them to build frame houses instead of log.  Levi Chesley was among our celebrated log haulers that winter, and his brothers, Tom and Jim Chesley, managed the business about  home.  I do not recall the name of all our Hutchinson people at that time, but I do remember that Uncle Putnam, from Ohio, was our blacksmith, and John Chub occupied a claim just south of town.  Newcomers kept dropping in from time to time and it would be very difficult for me to tell just who came first."

    "Most of our new settlers in McLeod County were limited means, and many were the hardships that we were called upon to endure, but as there is more to be enjoyed in pursuing an object, than there is in possessing, everybody winked at the hardships and looked forward to the glorious future and saw through their pathetic eye what the people of McLeod County are now enjoying.  The next spring after I came to Hutchinson the Germans commenced a settlement.  A Mr. Paegle, a German, took a claim and settled about two miles northwest of Hutchinson.  This was the commencement of the German settlement and the Fallons commenced an Irish settlement about two miles north of Hutchinson.  A Bohemian settlement was started east of Hutchinson.  Claims were taken around Hutchinson very rapidly.  McLeod had already another fine settlement about sixteen mile south of Hutchinson.  This settlement was commenced by Martin McLeod, a Scotchman, and this settlement was called Glencoe.  For years after this time these two settlements struggled and strove in an endeavor to be the center of attraction.  The Germans proved to be industrious and thrifty farming people and it was not long until they owned large farms and fine herds of cattle.  The Irish settlement also proved to be very industrious, but they did not grow as fast as the Germans.  The Bohemian settlement was also an honor to the country.  The many incidents that occurred in this part of the country for the next few years would be very interesting to put into history for the benefit of those who now occupy the country.  The Fallons had two Patricks in their family; this caused confusion in getting their mail.  One of them made complaint to Lewis Harrington, the postmaster, who at once suggested that he take another letter into his name; Mr. Fallon replied, "Don't you think "O" would be a D____d good letter?"  As he walked away from the post office he turned around and said to the postmaster, "Mr. Harrington, you will always remember the "'O," and from that time on this Fallon was knows as Patrick O'Fallon, and all of his children went by the name of O'Fallon instead of Fallon.  Patrick O'Fallon's son, Jimmy, went by the name of O'Fallon; and there has come to be a large family of O'Fallons."

    "Among the may newcomers who took claims northwest of Hutchinson, I recall the name of Billy Gosnald, Ben Fenn, Sam Fernal, Johnny Boyle, W.P. Shaddock, William Ross, Edwin Ross, Ben Ross, Charles Ross and William H. EnsignJohn Benjamin took a claim just east of my claim and proved to be a good neighbor.  There was an old Irishman by the name of Mike who took a claim a mile north of John Benjamin.  He had a very trying experience with a bear.  One Sunday while Mike was laying in bed he heard a bear on the roof of his shanty.  The roof was covered with bark.  He looked up the chimney.  A young bear looked down into his face and gave a snort and made off to the woods at a high rate of speed.  Mike dashed out of the door and made a bee-line for the home of John Benjamin.  Mr. Benjamin saw that Mike was very much excited and he said, 'Mike, what in the world is the matter?'  As soon as Mike could get his breath he told his strange experience with the bear, to which Benjamin replied, 'Mike, I am surprised that a man with your courage should become frightened at a bear.'  Mike began to look ashamed and as he rubbed the moisture from his face he replied, 'Mr. Benjamin, I know that I am a man with great courage, but this takes it all out of me.'

    "Rudolph Burgis Roder settled on Lake Jennie.  The family showed great perseverance and endurance and when other game was scarce they were known to live on fish alone.  Mr. Roder afterward enlisted in the Civil War and was distinguished for his bravery.  He went into the army as a private but soon after going into active service he was raised to the rank of captain, which position he held with honor until the close of the war.  There are many more of the early settlers whose names I can't recall.  I shall try to recall what I know about the Pendergast family, which emigrated from New Hampshire to Minnesota, and settled in Hutchinson, and were largely interested in the town site.  This family consisted of Uncle Solomon Pendergast, and his many sons and daughters, all of whom had possessed unusual advantages for education.  They were the founders of the great school system of Hutchinson.  Solomon Pendergast, the father, settled on Lake Hook, and his home was noted as the center of attraction on the lake.  He, his wife and youngest daughter, Miss Lydia, and his youngest son, Morrison, occupied the home at Lake Hook, while the rest of the family seemed to cast their lot in Hutchinson.  His eldest son, W.W. Pendergast, was the founder of the first school house erected in Hutchinson.  Of course, he was assisted very little by the rest of us poor settlers, who were limited in our means.  In the year of 1862, when the Dakota, or Sioux Indians broke out, and make war with the whites, this school house was among the buildings burned.  This incident only fired up the spirit of W.W. Pendergast and the rest of the Pendergast family.  To W.W. Pendergast belongs the honor of making Hutchinson a city of schools and colleges. 

    "Now that Prof. Pendergast sleeps in the cemetery at Hutchinson among the many other pioneers, who have gone before, the mighty stream of scholars that went out from his school are making a mark in the business world.  A few days ago a stranger met me in Tulsa, Okla., and said, 'Is your name MacKenzie?'  I replied, 'It is.'  To which he replied, "Dug. Record, a merchant in Kansas, told me to call upon you and remind you that he was one of W.W. Pendergast' s scholars.'  I replied, 'Is he worth anything?'  He answered, 'He is not worth less then $50,000.00 and is noted for his business capacity, and particularly for his fine penmanship.'  This incident recalled to my mind W.W. Pendergast and his fine scholarship.  Some years ago when I was traveling through Dakota, I stepped into a store and seeing the clerk write a beautiful hand, I took occasion to compliment his writing and said, 'This looks like the writing of W.W. Pendergast,' to which he replied, 'I am one of his scholars and I have never had any other teacher.'"

                                                                                              John H. Mackenzie


Other Details of John H. Mackenzie
Other Details of John H. Mackenzie  1861

John H. Mackenzie moved to Red River valley in 1861 and settled on the route of the St. Paul - Breckenridge stage.  When the Indian Massacre occurred he became a scout with headquarters at Georgetown, about sixty-five miles from Breckenridge.  When the Indians became a serious problem, the Selkirk settlement was used by the locals of Georgetown for protection.    John became a member of the United States Secret Service.  With a plan that involved the army, John entered Canada and extricated two Indians who were prominent in the massacres and other murders.  They two Indians were Medicine Bottle and Little Six. (Photo)  The two were delivered to Major Hatch at Pembina.  John had some help in this incident from D.L.. Kingsley and George Guiers.  Is business in Canada was ruined by this action.  He then returned to Hutchinson, Minnesota where he lived for many years.  Finally, he moved to Blue Jacket, Oklahoma. 



Tulsa Daily Herald  1920
February 26, 1920
John H. Mackenzie, Pioneer Tulsan, Passed Away Last Evening
Capture of Redskin Chieftains Among Many Exploits in the Canadian Wilds

    John H. Mackenzie, 89 years old, famous as a government Indian scout in the frontier days in Minnesota, died at his home, 114 South Denver, at 6:pm yesterday evening.  A paralytic stroke as the result of an automobile accident December 1, 1919, was given as the cause of this demise.  The funeral will be held from Mowbray's chapel at 3:30pm this afternoon.  Although services will be held by the local Masonic lodge, Rev. Meade Dutt of the First Christian church of which Mackenzie was a member, will officiate.  Rev. C.W. Kerr and W.I. Williams, devout friends of deceased, will also take part.  Burial will be in Oaklawn.
    Mr. Mackenzie is survived by a brother, Robert L. Mackenzie of Seattle, Wash. and four children, two boys and two girls, 10 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.  He came to Oklahoma more then thirty years ago, settling at Welsh.  About eighteen years ago he move to Tulsa and later moving to the Morse apartments on South Denver. 
    During his latter years, Mr. Mackenzie drew a government pension.  Among his numerous exploits was the capture of "Little Six," and "Medicine Bottle," in the Canadian wilds after the Indian Chiefs had massacred a number of women and children in Minnesota.
    Although Mackenzie was born in Toronto, Canada, he was raised in Hutchinson, Minn.  For a number of years he conducted a trading post in Fort Pembina, Minn. (North Dakota) also running a post in an old log cabin at Fort Garry, Minn. (Manitoba)  The captured Indian chiefs were hanged November 11, 1865 at Fort Snelling, Minn.


Hutchinson, Minnesota, October 6, 1905

Reunion at Minneapolis.  Expedition in which John Mackenzie of Hutchinson Distinguished Himself in Daring Exploit.

    A little bank of grizzled Indian fighters, bound together b the ties which unite men who have gone through hardship and privation and braved death together, gathered this morning in Morgan Post Hall at the tenth annual reunion of Hatch's Independent Battalion of Cavalry, Minnesota volunteers, says the Minneapolis Journal.
    Hardly more than a dozen of the survivors of that gallant band were present.  There was many a vacant chair and some were filled by the widows and sons and daughters of those who have departed.  Veterans of the battalion dropped in during the morning and flitted out again, so that it is impossible to state just how many attended the reunion.

During the forenoon the former officers were all re-elected, as follows: President, Hugh E. Craig, Orrock, Minn.; vice presidents, J. Bushke, Glencoe, Minn.; Charles C. hare, St. Paul; J.H. Craig, J.E. Flynn, Little falls, Minn., and James A. Hartwig; secretary and treasurer, George B. Bradbury, Minneapolis.
    Next year's reunion will be held in St. Paul.
    Addresses were delivered by a number of those present and Levi L. Longfellow, commander of Bryant Post, G.A.R., addressed the gathering, relating, as did several of the other speakers, interesting reminiscences of the stirring days of war time.  The members of the battalion who were present were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of "Old Bull Quinn," of St. Paul, a famous Indian scout, when many of the members had believed him dead.  They are quiet modest men, these old Indian fighters.  They do not talk of their service to their country and they shun any notoriety; but if they would tell of the severe hardships and stirring adventures of the day of '63 it would make interesting reading.


    Hatch's Independent Battalion of cavalry, Minnesota volunteers, was organized in July of 1863 under command of Major E.A.C. Hatch of St. Paul., to drive the murderous Sioux across the border.  The horrible Sioux Indian massacre on the frontier of Minnesota in the summer of 1862, when the whole country was aroused by the brutal massacre of hundreds of defenseless women and children, led to the formation of the battalion. 
    United States troops under command of General H.H. Sibley, succeeded in driving the Sioux in 1863 across the Minnesota border, where they gathered together in a large band in the vicinity of St. Joe, in what is now North Dakota, some forty miles and northwest of Pembina.
Among the Indians were a number of the most notorious murderers and cut-throats in the Sioux Nation, among them the famous Little Six (Shakopee) and Medicine Bottle, chiefs of the Sioux nation and arch enemies of the whites. 
    As originally organized, there were four companies in the battalion; Company A, under command of Captain Chamblin; Company B, Captain George C. Whitcomb; Company C, Captain Abel Grovenor, and Company D, Captain Hugh S. Donaldson.  The battalion was accompanied on the expedition by one section of the Third Battery, Minnesota Light Artillery, and by a number of Indian scouts.
    The start was made from St. Paul on Oct. 5, 1863.  The weather was raw and severe.  Storms, both of rain and snow, drove over the prairies with fearful force, cutting the faces of the troopers like a knife.  The wagon train was heavily loaded and the oxen and mules made little more than ten or twelve miles a day.  It was a fearful march and its hardships will never be forgotten by those who participated in it.  One detachment, under command of Lieutenant Mix, became lost in a blinding storm on the prairie and it was some time before the battalion was united at Fort Abercrombie.
    At this rest station Major Hatch found it necessary to combat the deepest discouragement on the part of his men.  Many urged the Major to remain there for the remainder of the winter and push on to St. Joe when the winter had broken.  All were discouraged and depressed, but Major Hatch was resolute, and on Nov. 5 the start was made for Pembina. 


    The snow was from eight to twelve inches deep and the bleak and desolate prairies were continually swept by blinding blizzards.  Making their way over the frozen ground in forced marches half frozen and blinded by the pitiless storm, the little band reached Pembina on Nov. 13, 1863.  It was not until the middle of December, in 1863, that a little detachment of picked men started out to effect the capture of the murderous Indians.  Two of those who were in that little company were present at the reunion today.  Hugh E. Craig, president of the battalion and James W. Hankinson, of Minneapolis, the veteran detective.  The start was made at 3:00 in the morning. 
    The story of the early morning attack on the Indian camp, the shooting and confusion in the darkness, the stampede of the Indians and the capture of Little Six and Medicine Bottle is one of the most stirring in the annals of Indian Fighting.  Little Six and Medicine Bottle were brought under heavy guard to Fort Snelling, and in October, 1865, were executed in the presence of a large crowd of spectators.  Soon afterward the commander at Fort Gary, now Winnipeg, sent word that he had been notified by the remainder of the renegade Indians that they were willing to surrender.
    John Mackenzie, who lived for many years in and near Hutchinson, was one of the party which took the two chiefs.  He is a brother of Wm. Mackenzie of this place and now lives at Tulsa, Indian Territory.  He used to ravel through the country lecturing on phrenology and giving magic lantern shows.



Hutchinson, Minnesota, October 6, 1905

    Just 50 years ago next month that first party of sturdy pioneers and explorers came over the brow of the hill south of the present site of Hutchinson and exclaimed at once that they had found what they sought - and ideal situation for a new city in this fair land. 
    Their decision was made immediately and Hutchinson was founded.  Where the woods and prairie meet - in a beautiful valley surrounded by swelling hills and handsome groves were laid the foundations of this community. 
    There was little of the commercial or mercenary in the enterprise.  The men who established the first homes in Hutchinson were not traders or land exploiters.  They were reformers - idealists - and sought a place to live and enjoy the development of their cherished ideas in peace and contentment. 
    Hutchinson had its trials and chapters of sadness and privation, but its people always stood by their homes and braved every danger and hardship, whether poverty, savage warfare, grasshopper scourge, or disease and finally, happiness, prosperity, and the fulfillment of their desires have been the reward.
    Hutchinson made fitting celebration of the completion of the first fifty years of her existence last Wednesday.  Every feature of the ___ _____________________ and there were some departures from the conventional celebration. 
    It was decided to have the whole celebration center about the dedication of a memorial tablet which should be erected on the site of the log stockade which protected the settlers from the fierce onslaughts of the savages in 1862 and was a refuge for more than a year for the farmers for miles around.
    Invitation was sent to every once resident of Hutchinson whose address could be obtained, and many from across the entire continent to be present and meet the old friends and neighbors.
    It was a glorious day.
    In many respects it was the most eventful day, and the most significant that Hutchinson has had for years, or will have for many more, marking the completion of the first half century, and the beginning of the second, and what the second will bring forth the most far-seeing prophet can not tell.



The dedication ceremonies were preceded by a parade illustrating events and types of early history.  The parade formed near the public schools in the following order:
    The surviving scouts, A.H. Delong, Samuel Dewing and Vincent Coombs, who did scout duty during the fall of 1862, ranging over the country for fifteen to twenty miles every day watching for Indians, headed the parade, carrying their old time firearms.
    Next came the Hutchinson Military Band.
    Following the band was a band of imitation Indians, on posies, riding single file, a group of squaws on foot bringing up the rear.
    Then came a couple emigrant wagons, genuine prairie schooners.  The committee is under obligations to Messrs. John Houston and George Pixley of Fairmont, who, on their way to northern Minnesota on a hunting expedition, kindly consented to remain and assist in the parade.
    A typical log cabin such as was used by the pioneers on their first claims was next in the parade.
    Then came the old Pendergast school bell which hung in the two story school house north of the river which was burned by the Indians in the attack on the stockade September 4, 1862.  The bell was rung by the Indians until the rope burned off and the ruins of the building fell.  The bell has been in the possession of the Pendergast family ever since.  Its appearance in the parade, escorted by eight hundred school children Wednesday was particularly significant.  Mrs. Pendergast has very thoughtfully offered to allow the bell to be placed permanently in the public library building, where it will be mounted on a handsome pedestal, with a suitable inscription.
    Preceding the old bell was a carriage bearing Mrs. Wm. Todd of Minneapolis: a lady eight-five years of age who was the first lady to teach school in Hutchinson.  Mrs. Todd came to Hutchinson in 1856 but left before the Indian trouble.  This was her first visit to Hutchinson since.
    Another carriage carried the venerable John W. Hutchinson, and his young bride.  The aged singer presented a striking appearance in his flowing snow-white locks and wide low collar, a style of dress used by the Hutchinson brothers during their entire career.
    In the next three or four coaches and carriages were about fifty of the surviving "stockaders", those who bravely defended their homes and firesides and held this frontier post throughout the entire Indian war. ____ the stockaders were _____ ______________ ___________ ____.
    The parade proceeded down the hill from the M.E. church to Main Street, down Main Street to Washington Ave. then around the Public Square, the children forming a hollow square about the memorial tablet representing the old log stockade while the stockaders took seats reserved for them within the square.
    On the speakers stand were the members of the Hutchinson family, Uncle John Hutchinson and his wife, Richard D. Hutchinson, John's grandson, O.D. Hutchinson and wife and daughter Bessie: the speakers of the day: Col. Borgerarode of Winsted, introduced as the oldest man in the county, ninety-five years of age, a vigorous sturdy old Roman: John H. Mackenzie, pioneer, Indian fighter, explorer, and trader, a veritable Davy Crockett, who has spent his life on the frontier, carried westward with every succeeding wave of migration and is now a resident of Indian Territory.
    Dr. Kee Wakefield, a resident of Hutchinson since the time of the Indian fighting, was master of ceremonies. 

    The band opened the program with a selection, "Over the Garden Wall", followed by a song, "Tenting Tonight," by the public schools.
    The invocation was eloquently delivered by Rev. J. L. Farber, one of the pioneer Methodist preachers of the state.
    Dr. Kee Wakefield, the master of ceremonies, delivered an address on the early history of Hutchinson which had been prepared with great care.  The address has much historical value and should be preserved.  It is printed in full in another part of this paper.
    The dedication of the tablet was made by Dr. George M. Crafts of Minneapolis, a native Minnesotan, and a student of Minnesota history.  Dr. Crafts spoke of the early settlement of the state, the Indian wars, and of the local Indian trouble, making an eloquent and appropriate address.  In closing his address Dr. Crafts dedicated the tablet in the following words.:

The Address of Dr. Crafts

    "Turning our attention now to the occasion which more intimately concerns us today, the unveiling and dedication of the monument bearing its tablet of bronze, the monument itself most appropriate and well chosen, a great boulder from the bed of the river, the while commemorative of the Indian attack of the frontier settlement of Hutchinson, we give our thoughts to all that it means.  For those who took an active part in all the stirring events of the period and for whom, now at the sunset side of life, it is memorial of the past, a past crowded full of the memories of the hardship, peril, suffering and loss, and that has cemented this whole community in a rare spirit of unity and fellowship, in all that concerns the commonwealth. 
    Much like Plymouth Rock is this great boulder, and the same blood quality that animated the pilgrims of New England made up the pioneer settlers of this new frontier and stamped it with the character that has made the present.  And in passing may we not call also to remembrance those few choice spirits in skins of bronze, but with the hearts and strong, who at imminent risk of their own lives rescued and led to places of safety many defenseless whites.  But even more should this occasion mean to the rising generation, to these hundreds of school children before me, as inspiration for the future, _____ _______ ______ ___
______ ____ handful of defenders ____ ____ ____ stand their ground and defend their firesides, and put an effective barrier to the murderous advance of the Sioux, that else had swept unchecked to the settlements on the Mississippi river.
    There are no dark forms of aboriginal savages flitting now in the shadows of the woods, beside the sunkissed fields that smile with their annual harvest.  But dangers no less real still lurk in the path of each on the road of life, in the way of his character building, and insidious perils that threaten the stability of government itself and calling for the exercise and the development of the same fearless and independent sturdiness of action and character.
    May this moment ______ _______ ________ _________ ______ _________ _________ __________ ______ to all of you."



Little Six and Medicine Bottle - Hanged for Murder
During the celebration John MacKenzie was in a large measure the hero of the hour.  His daring and successful expedition into
Canada and capture of the renegade Indians Little Six and Medicine Bottle was one of the most heroic acts in the annals of Indian warfare in this country.  Mr. Mackenzie spoke at the campfire and related many of his wonderful experiences, more strange and exciting than the Leather stocking tales of Cooper.  There were tragic events as well as exciting, and instance being the death from exposure and starvation of four of his children on the banks of the Red River after the Indians had taken him and others captive, robbed them of all they had, and set them adrift to starve.

Mr. Mackenzie sold his claim on the site of the city of St. Paul for $3.50 an acre, was in the far northwest during the Indian uprising, and had scores of thrilling adventures.   The Indians, Little Six and Medicine Bottle, whom he captured near Fort Garry, now Winnipeg and brought over the boundary in the dead of winter, were tried and hung at Fort Snelling.  Mr. Mackenzie has the scalping knife of Little Six which had killed thirteen women and children, and the pipe of peace smoked in 1812, when the Indians were compensated for helping the British, as trophies.

    Left: "Little Six"
Right "Medicine Bottle"


TULSA DAILY WORLD - March 1, 1920

Liquor Proved Undoing of Militant Chiefs of Wary and Warlike Red Med

    Survivors of John H. Mackenzie who died last Thursday evening at the age of 89, are emphatic in their assertions that Mackenzie was a devout Christian churchman.  He was also renowned as an Indian scout during the old frontier days of the 50's and 60's in the wilds of Canada and in northern Minnesota.  During his later days Mackenzie drew a pension of $12.00 per month from the federal government on account of his faithful service while operating a trading post in Minnesota.
    The life of Mackenzie is filled with stories of the wild life which he so admirable controlled in those days when Indians would murder whites, and whites were constantly on their guard against Indian massacres.  The episode of the capture of Medicine Bottle, a Sioux chief, and Little Six, another Sioux chief following the wild chase by government troops, forms an interesting tale.  As related in the Minneapolis Times of December 9, 1900, the fugitive Indians were driven out of the United States into Canada.  The federal officers could not follow them across the border but Mackenzie with several companions, followed the outlaw band and later captured the Indians.

    J.A. Cochran, a federal officer, knocked on the door of Mackenzie's log house at Fort Garry one cold Christmas morning in 1863.  Cochran's message was in a measure pacific, but it also comprehends the shedding of blood if need be to accomplish its purpose.  Only a few hours before he had left the military camp at Fort Pembina, on the United States side of the boundary line, some 50 miles away, and had come through as fast as a dog train could carry him. 
    He had hoped and expected to enter Fort Garry unannounced and unknown.  It was essential that his arrival, his interview with MacKenzie and his departure should not evoke comment nor excite suspicion.  His military trappings had been laid aside at Fort Pembina, and when he arrived at Mackenzie's place there was nothing about his appearance to indicate that he was an officer of the United States army.  The conditions which made his presence necessary and brought about events in which Mackenzie was destined to take and active part were substantially as follows:
    After the defeat of the Sioux Indians at Wood Lake in Minnesota, by General Sibley's forces on September 23, 1862, a large body of savages who preferred fight to surrender retreated under the leadership of Little Crow to the northwest and before winter set in reached the vicinity of Devils Lake in Dakota where they remained until spring.  The winter of 1862 - 1863 was a season of inaction among the troops but in the spring as soon as the prairie grasses were grown sufficient to sustain life in horses and oxen that might be obliged to subsist on them, two military expeditions were in motion pursuing the recalcitrant Sioux. 
    One of these under General H.H. Sibley scoured the western part of Minnesota for Indians on its way to the upper Missouri river while the other under General Alfred Sully marched across Dakota also bound for the Missouri.  It was hoped that between these two bodies of troops all the Sioux might either be killed or captured before the "Big Muddy" was reached.  This hope was not to be gratified, however.  Both expeditions had several engagements with the reds and killed and captured many of them, but the main body led by Battling Moccasin, Little Six and Medicine Bottle, upon whom after Little Crow's death from Lampon's bullet at Hutchinson, Minnesota during July had developed the leadership of the band, eluded their pursuers, fled across the Missouri river and a month later found shelter and protection under the British flag across the Canadian border.
    The band with which Little Six and Medicine Bottle were associated, known as the Leaf band of the Sioux and Dakotas, pitched their camp on the site of the old Selkirk settlement of 1814 - 1820, about 25 miles up the Assiniboian river from Fort Garry.  Here they remained in fancied security, subsisting on provisions doled out to them by the Canadian authorities, a daily allowance of three bags of pemmican comprising a part of their rations, supplemented by game that they killed with their rifles stolen from the massacred settlers of Minnesota.  They, from the Indian's standpoint, were passing throgh a period of ideal enjoyment.  Two of their number, however, were destined to be rudely awakened from dolce far niente condition by MacKenzie and several other adventurous gentlemen. 
    MacKenzie, when apprised of the plot, expressed his willingness to cooperate with the authorities on the other side of the border (MacKenzie lived in Canada at this time), but doubted the feasibility of the plan.  Any scheme that would result in the capture of the Indians or their extermination was agreeable to him.  He had a score to settle with them that dated back to the Indian massacre beginning in August 1862. 
    At the time he was trading with them, and the whites had gathered at Georgetown on the Red River not far from the present town of Breckenridge, Minnesota and was one of a party of scouts who soon after the first massacre began on the Minnesota river, road up the Red river where the Indians are known to be in force was forced upon and barely escaped with his life, after an exciting chase. 
    Soon afterwards, he, with his family, was obliged to flee northward because the Indians were between them and the troops to the south.  Along the weary way to Fort Garry the caravan went, fighting its way at times and ever on the alert.  When about half way there one of Mackenzie's children died and was hastily buried on the open prairie with naught but a small pile of stones to mark its final resting place.  After  undergoing numerous privations, the party reached Fort Garry, where they were safe from attack because Indians and whites there were on neutral ground.  Under the circumstances it is not surprising that he would welcome any messenger with open arms who promised him revenge.
    MacKenzie and a man name Onisime Guiguire drove to the Indian camp and persuaded the Indian chiefs, Medicine Bottle and Little Six, to go with them to Fort Garry.  After the liberal use of whisky, the Indians became helpless and were bound and taken to the United States authorities at "the Yankee fort", where Major E.A.C. Hatch was located.  Later they were given a military trial at Fort Snelling and were hanged at the junction of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers on November 11, 1865. 
    Shakopee or Little Six, was born in 1811 at the place where the little Minnesota town named for him now stands.  He left three wives and three children.


Mackenzie Genealogy
Mackenzie Genealogy

1.  Duncan Mackenzie Duncan Mackenzie Cousin to William Lyon Mackenzie   
b. 1797  Scottish Highlands
d. Unknown
Married:                  They sailed to Canada in 1829 with one child.
Jennie Hamilton
b. Unknown  Scottish Lowlands               Duncan Mackenzie fought on the side of William Lyon Mackenzie and
d. Unknown                                         when soon to become a political prisoner, Duncan took his family and fled
                                                          to Illinois and then moved to Minnesota.

Children of Duncan Mackenzie and Jennie Hamilton
Children of Duncan Mackenzie and Jennie Hamilton

1.1  Elizabeth Mackenzie 
b.  In Scotland bfr 1829               Confirmation
d.  Unknown

1.2  John Hamilton Mackenzie       Brother-in-law to William Pitt Shattuck  Confirmation    More about William Pitt Shattuck
b. 12 Jun 1831  Hoags Hollow, Toronto, Ontario
d. 25 Feb 1920  Tulsa, Oklahoma (Buried in Oaklawn Cemetery, Tulsa Oklahoma)
Married:  7 Feb 1855
(1) Mary Anne Trumble
b.    3 Mar 1836  Erie County, New York.
d.  19 Jun 1870  Dassel, Minnesota.
(2) Lavina Robinson
b. Unknown
d. Unknown
Married:  After 1874
Note:  It is noted that William Pitt Shattuck who was killed and scalped by the Indians was John's brother-in-law.  Due to the year and who John was married to at the time, it could be that William Pitt was the brother of Lavina Robinson.  This could mean that Lavina was previously married and her maiden name could be Shattuck.  Note "Important Insert"   

John H Mackenzie is survived by 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 16 great grandchildren at the time of his death.

1.3  Robert L. Mackenzie
b.  Unknown
d.  Unknown

1.4  William L. Mackenzie
b.  Unknown
d.  Unknown

Children of John Hamilton Mackenzie and Mary Jane Trumble
Children of John Hamilton Mackenzie and Mary Jane Trumble
They had a total of twelve children but only two lived to adulthood.  The others died in the first five years. Confirmation
1.2,1  John James Mackenzie
b. 31 Mar 1856  Minnetonka Lake, Minnesota
d. 11 Oct 1857  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota

1.2.2  Franklin Benjamin Mackenzie
b.   2 Mar 1857  Fort Snelling, Minnesota
d. 13 Aug 1939  Britton, South Dakota
Married:  18 Oct 1878
(1) Mary Janette Blackwell
b.  4 May 1861  Meeker County, Minnesota
d. 25 Dec 1900  Minnesota
Married: 1915  Minnesota
(2) Lily Moses
b. Unknown
d. Unknown

1.2,3  Lousia Ann Mackenzie
b.  8 Aug 1858  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 21 May 1878  Dassel, Minnesota

1.2.4  Jennie Mary Mackenzie
b.  2 Nov 1859  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d.  1 Jan 1860  Dassel, Minnesota

1.2.5  Ruth Mackenzie
b.  1 Apr 1861  Selkirk Settlement, Manitoba, Canada
d. 1953  Tulsa, Oklahoma
Married:  12 Jan 1878
Frank Eugene Morse

1.2.6   Naomi Mackenzie
b. 21 Jan 1862  Georgetown, Minnesota
d. 17 Sep 1862  Pembina, North Dakota

1.2.7  Christina Mackenzie
b. 22 May 1963  Selkirk Settlement, Manitoba, Canada
d. 24 Aug 1863  Selkirk Settlement, Manitoba, Canada

1.2.8   George W. Mackenzie
b. 29 Jul 1864  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 1865  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota

1.2.9   Sarah C. Mackenzie
b.   3 Feb 1866  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 27 Dec 1880  Dassel, Minnesota

1.2.10 Elizabeth Mackenzie
b. 15 Jan 1867  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 1867  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota

1.2.11 Estella Alba Jane Mackenzie
b. 19 May 1868  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 23 Jul 1870  Dassel, Minnesota

1.2.12 Robert Mackenzie
b. 24 May 1869  Hutchinson, McLeod County, Minnesota
d. 23 Jul 1870  Dassel, Minnesota

(2) Children of John Hamilton Mackenzie and Lavina Robinson
(2) Children of John Hamilton Mackenzie and Lavina Robinson
1.2.13 Unknown Child
b. Unknown
d. Unknown

1.2.14 Unknown Child
b. Unknown
d. Unknown

1.2.15 Unknown Child
b. Unknown
d. Unknown

1.2.16 Sextella (Stella) Mackenzie  Provided written history to Dale Mackenzie and is printed here.
b. Unknown
d. Unknown
Sextella lived a full life and left much information about her family.
Sextella lived a full life and left much information.
Of the four children of Lavina Robinson, Frank Mackenzie, Stella Mackenzie and one other survived.  One died young.


The son of John Mackenzie is Franklin B Mackenzie
(1) Children of Franklin B Mackenzie and Mary Janette Blackwell 
(1) Children of Franklin B Mackenzie and Mary Janette Blackwell
Numbers of Blackwell Genealogy System John James Mackenzie Ruth Emma Mackenzie    Family Benjamin Mackenzie Sarah Josephine Mackenzie Ernest Mackenzie Martha Louise Mackenzie Mary Jane Mackenzie   Special Note about Mary Jane. 
Frank and Mary Janette had 7 children.  The last child, Mary Jane Mackenzie was born on Christmas day and her mother died in childbirth.  Some confusion was going on at the time as it was reported that the baby also died during the birth, but this was in error.  The baby was taken by another relative and raised and that is why the baby carried the name Marie Morse.  View a letter sent to the father.  It explains possibly why and where
the baby went.  Note:  Frank apparently had a heavy use of alcohol in his life.  LETTER


Important Details about William Pitt Shattuck

Important Insert about William Pitt Shattuck  aka "Pitt: Shattuck There are two people with the same name.  First, the father, William Pitt Shattuck I and the son, William Pitt Shattuck the II.  An article by Beverly White notes William Pitt Shattuck as inventing the 'Mobile Fort" (The Tank) as adopted by the British.  However, a comment that was added later from the Granddaughter of William Pitt Shattuck II states as follows............

Comments by Nancy A. Shattuck, granddaughter of W.P. Shattuck
William Pitt Shattuck (II) was born in Hutchinson, MN on July 13, 1860 where his family was living at the time.  His father, William Pitt Shattuck (I), also known as ‘Pitt’ Shattuck, went on a trapping expedition near Lake Osakis in early January of 1863.  While checking his trap lines, he surprised two Sioux Indians raiding his cache.  He was murdered and his body was pushed under the ice in order to conceal their crime.  W.P. Shattuck (II) was then 2 ½ years old.  W.P. Shattuck (II) undoubtedly was taught “woodcraft skills” by his Mackenzie uncles who were well versed in the craft.  Two Sioux Indian chiefs, Shakopee and Medicine Bottle (view photo) were apprehended from Canada, I believe in January of 1864, by Pitt Shattuck’s 1 brother in law, John H. Mackenzie, an army scout and trader, by request of the government.  The two Indians were implicated for the crimes committed against the settlers during the Dakota Uprising of 1862.  According to family story, it was John H. Mackenzie who recognized Pitt Shattuck’s knife in the possession of one Sioux Indian while he was living in Canada, which aided with the apprehension and conviction of the two Sioux involved.  They were hung at Ft. Snelling.  W.P. Shattuck (II) married Margaret Knudsen of Chicago, Illinois on February 11, 1922 and had one son and my father, William Pitt Shattuck (III).  W.P. Shattuck (II) was the inventor of many more inventions beyond what is mentioned in the preceding article. 
W.P. Shattuck (II) died on January 29, 1926 at his home on Girard Avenue in Minneapolis.  My father, his only child, was then three years old. W.P. Shattuck (II) was buried in Lakewood Cemetery overlooking the shores of Lake Calhoun, where he had once lived as a boy.

The above information confirms a lot of details.  Shattuck was John H Mackenzie's brother-in-law.  Second, as "Uncles" (two of them) will refer to John H Mackenzie and Robert L Mackenzie.  Note also that Kathryn Johnson confirmed that John H. was related to William L Mackenzie.  They are brothers.


Chief Taoyateduta  "Little Crow"
Chief Taoyateduta  "Little Crow"
Photo 228


John H. Mackenzie - Indian Fighter - Secret Service Agent

John Hamilton Mackenzie
Age 83
Photo 66b


Information from Dale Mackenzie - a descendent of John H. Mackenzie
Information from Dale Mackenzie - descendent of John H Mackenzie

John moved his family West after the Indians began their uprising in Minnesota.  He had been friends with the Sioux before he left and even though he remained friends with some of them after the attacks on the white settlers, he felt it was too dangerous to say.  His ability to converse with the Indians became important later. 
They headed to Fort Abercrombie in Dakota Territory and stayed there until the Indian uprising affected the Fort.  They then headed West to Fort Ransom in Dakota Territory.  On the way they were captured by a band of Chippewa Indians.  I think the Indians held them a couple of days.  Fortunately, the Chippewa were enemies of the Sioux.  John was able to talk to them and when they had listened to his story they eventually released both he and his family.  Next, they headed North to Georgetown, Minnesota on the banks of the Red River.  This town is only a few miles North of Fargo.  At the time, there was a Hudson Bay trading post there.  John got a job at the post.  I don't know how long they lived there but eventually the Indians started causing problems. 
He packed his family up and with a couple of cows (milk was needed for the children including at least one baby) and headed North.  At the confluence of the Red River and the Red Lake River they were captured by the Sioux.  The Sioux held them for about 40 days.  The Indians took their cows and other food and then released them.  As a result of lack of food, 2 or 3 (can't confirm) of their children died and were buried along the trail as they fled to Canada and stopped North of Winnipeg at Selkirk where they lived for a time. (Can not confirm how long) Eventually, they moved back to Minnesota.


John H. Mackenzie was married twice.  His first wife was Mary Jane Trumble who he married in 1855.  She died in 1870 at the young age of 34.  They had a total of 12 children but only two lived to adulthood.  Most died in their first 5 years.

In 1874 John married Lavina Robinson that resulted in 4 children of which 3 lived to adulthood.  One child, Sextella, aka Stella was born on January 22, 1882.  She had a full life and died on June 2, 1977.  I had the opportunity of visiting Stella a few time before she died.  Her memory was wonderful to the end of her life.  She told many stories of growing up in Minnesota and Oklahoma.  She wrote these stories down and gave them to us when she was in her seventies.  I have repeated some of them below.  (Dale Mackenzie

Information Provided by Stella Mackenzie - Daughter of John H Mackenzie as provided by Dale Mackenzie
My father's father, Duncan Mackenzie was born in the Scottish highlands in 1797.  He was a sheep herder.  He went to Glasgow where he met and married Jennie Hamilton.  She was a lowland Scott.  She was educated and talented in music.  Her father was a cloth merchant and traveled to the Caribbean to buy merchandise.  He disappeared on one of his trips and was never found.  Duncan and Jennie had one child, Elizabeth, when they sailed for Canada in 1829 where both had relatives.  Duncan was a cousin
to William Lyon Mackenzie who was born 12 March 1795 and died 28 August 1861.  He led the rebellion when Canada gained her dominion form of Government.  Duncan fought with William Lyon's forces.  When Duncan was about to be taken a political prisoner, he fled to the United States with his family.  They moved to Illinois and later to Minnesota.  His son, John Hamilton Mackenzie was born in Canada on June 12, 1831.  When John was a teenager he went to Minnesota.  He teamed up with an old experienced trader and trapper.  They dealt with the Sioux Indians.  John spoke their language fluently and knew their habits and customs quite well.  When John was 24, he went back to Illinois and married Mary Anne Trumble.  During the Civil War, John was in the secret service and served his country well.

When the Sioux were on the warpath they killed and scalped William Pitt Shattuck, John's brother-in-law.  At one time they held five families prisoner for 40 days.  In the early morning hours one day, John and another man put a man and his wife across a river while the Sioux slept.  The couple had several hours start and walked and ran many miles to a Fort and notified the military.  The Sioux were mad and intended to kill the white prisoners.  John talked them into fleeing to Canada and letting their prisoners go on their way.  All were ill from hunger.  The Sioux ate John's milk cows and his baby died as a result of not having milk.

When John's wife, Mary Anne died, only five of the 12 children were living.  Three had died within 10 days from scarlet fever.


Credits -

Dale Mackenzie and Marilee Larkey (Descendents) and contributors to the Blackwell Genealogy Website
They have  provided most of the Newspaper reports and family information for this page.
Meeker County Historical Society provided copies of various background material.

                                                                                                                              .......Thank you

Mackenzie Page 1    Mackenzie Page 2    Mackenzie Page 3    Mackenzie Page 4



When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

                                                                                                                          - Cherokee Indian Saying