Blackwell Genealogy

| John Blackwell 1775 |
George Blackwell 1801 | Children of George Blackwell 1801 |
| John Blackwell | Children of John Blackwell |
George Blackwell Jr. | Children of George Blackwell |
| Henry Blackwell | Children of Henry Blackwell |
| William Blackwell | Children of William Blackwell |
| Menu | Surnames | Memoir-Surnames | Maps | Numbers | Info, Census, Links | Lois Twitchell Memoirs |
Overview | Previous | Page Finder |
Twichell | Seaver | Field | Barradell | McGannon | Downing | Byford | King | McNeil | Melfort Jrs | VanLoon | Cohoes | Larkey | Mackenzie |

Ron Blackwell 

Ronald Ernest Blackwell 
b. 11 Nov. 1945  Melfort, Sask. 

 Time Frame 1945 - 1951

My Life in Melfort:
Residing in Melfort, Saskatchewan until age 6.  My first school was Broadway School.  (Photo 239 & 240)

Broadway School on my first day (abt 1951) Broadway School destroyed by fire 1956
     As it was on my first day. (1951)                                     Destroyed by Fire, 1956                   
        Photo 239                                                                  Photo 240                   

Ronnie brings in the lumber while a runner comes in from 3rd.
If your not sure, I am the one dragging the bat
Photo 240a

   Melfort Railway System
Scene of the Crime
      Photo 242

The Getaway:
While living here I had a pedal car with a little trunk for a second kid to sit in but Jigs (dog) usually occupied this section.  One summer day I took the neighbour girl, Linny Fennel for a ride.  Our dog, Jigs came with us.  We left this Melfort home (241 Below) and found the railroad tracks.  We were gone for a long time.  Our parents and the local folks along with Sgt. Black, the local RCMP officer, were all in hot pursuit.  They finally found us in the Rail Yards.  We were coming down the tracks in the little pedal car and were spotted by Sgt. Black.  We were beside the big elevator seen in photo 242.  We were headed in the direction the camera is located to take this photo.  It was a terrible trip and we wanted to come home, I was hungry and Linny was crying.  My first date was also my last with Linny.  Many years later when I went back for a visit on my own, I stopped in to see my old friends and they took me to a house party where I saw Linny for the first time since I had left Melfort.  We laughed about that incident.  I believe I was 5 at the time.

Blackwell Residence on McLead West.
This is my first place of residence I think. 
The street in front shows the exact spot where I was hit by a car.
I was badly hurt in the incident as I later learned from my family.

Located on McLeod St. West
Photo 241a

2nd Place or Residence

Melfort Home of the Blackwells in 1941    Blackwell Home - 254 McLeod St, Melfort in 2010
 1941 Melfort Home      Shown 69 Years later
Photo 241                   Photo 241b

My Melfort Home
We lived in an old home in Melfort (241a) while my Grandfather built this home (241) for my father on  McLeod St.  The home (241b) is still there.  In was in this home that I had a number of firsts in my life.  It was a happy home that was full of friends and guests and baseball players.  (Photo 241)  The reason for the baseball players was due to my father's involvement with the Melfort Juniors.  I was a Mascot. 
For more on my life with baseball, Click Here

1952 - 1988

The Move to Moose Jaw:
My life in Melfort came to an end in 1952 when I arrived in Moose Jaw with my parents.  I was 7 years old. 
We resided at 127 Winston Street in an area known as Welsley Park.  I got my first bicycle here and it was a great place to ride. (No photo yet) Later, the family moved to 535 Athabasca Street West.  (about 1953) and their we remained until the death of my Mother in 1971 when my father moved to another house he bought.  I remained at the 535 address, but it was very difficult. 
Being in the music business with my parents, my mother enrolled me at a young age in piano lessons.  I was not bad, but again, I was reluctant to learn to read music.  I would listen to the song and then would play it.  I joined in with the other music students and a number of us were accepted to play at a concert.  We were told it was for our parents.  I practiced one song so I had it down perfect.  About three days before the event, we were told were it was being put on.  I freaked out at this as it was a huge place and would be full of people.  I was literally sick to my stomach with fear.  My mother pulled me together and I somehow made it through.  To see the place I had to play the grand piano to a full house, Click on this little Photo My first recital took place here.   It was first and last performance at the keyboard in public.  Later, I took up the drums and played in jazz clubs and other locations.  Wedding dances paid little money then, but we played them anyway in hotels and rented halls.  We had a good band.  On New Years night I made $65.00 at the Harwood Hotel as compared to the $15.00 per night for a club gig.  I enjoyed the clubs as we got to play Bossa Nova and other Jazz formats.  The weddings were waltzes and foxtrots.  (Boring) 

The home is gone now
but it was just to the left
of this road in Welsley Park
1952 - 1953

Photo 241c

When I lived in this home
at 535 Athabasca West,
it was a flat roofed home.
1853 - 1868

Photo 241d

Next Blackwell Generation Home in Moose Jaw
This was the Home
of my family after 1974
Photo 241e

Last Ron Blackwell home in Moose Jaw  34 Aster Cr.
My last Moose Jaw Home.  It was a nice home.
The tree in the front yard was from a stick given to my daughter in Calgary when in early public school.
It stayed in a closet for years.  Carolyn and her Grandfather planted it in the front yard in photo 241f
It now stands tall and proud.
Photo 241f

Note:  All the above home photos, except (240) where taken via Google Earth
and in turn, I snapped them with Snap3 program.


 Time Frame 1952 - 1985

While at our Athabasca St. address, I attended Alexandra Public School.

Alexandra Public School, Moose Jaw, Sk.
My School from grade 1 or 2 up to grade 8
Alexandra School
Photo 243

Alexandra was a great school and they had wonderful teachers.  It was only about two blocks from home so it was no problem go home for lunch every day.  Even though both my parents worked, my mother would leave to made dinner for me.  At the end of my day, I would go home and tidy up the house if it needed it.  My parents would get home around 6PM and then it was off to the ball diamond.  On Saturdays I would work in the warehouse my father kept for his stores.  I learned to fix and repair pianos.  Later, I got involved it sales and the seemed to lay out the future for me.

My schooling after grade 8 was in two different locations.  Central Collegiate was the one I wanted to attend because that is where my friends were going.  It was also closer to home.  However, after a couple of years there I was moved to Peacock.  The reason for the move is a little embarrassing but it seems I was a bit of a problem at school.  However, I faired better at Peacock.  I liked the school.  All in all, my mind was never on school and although I graduated, it was most difficult for me.  My mind was a long way off in the world.  I wanted to travel since I was very small and the urge never left me.  I have no explanation for it.

Central Collegiate, Moose Jaw, Sk.        Peacock Technical Institute, Moose Jaw, Sk.
Central Collegiate        Peacock Technical Institute
  Photo 244                       Photo 245

During this time, and even before I got my drivers license, I would hitch a ride out to the various hill climbs and race tracks.  The other drivers would let me take a turn with their cars.  There were a great variety of cars to drive.  From the little VW bug to the Lotus Super 7 that I did well with on the track.  In the hill climbs I did very good with the Austin Healy 3000.  It was an inline 6 with electric overdrive.  It had good pulling power.  It had wire wheels that turned out to be the wrong choice for hill climbing.  The wire wheel was sensitive to ruts and washboard roads.  The steel wheel performed much better, it just didn't look as good.  I did some racing with a team but they ran out of money.  The cars was fast and reasonable in the corners but it seemed the more I drove it the better I did.  We would travel through Western Canada and race on some of the early track that had been planned out on old WWII runways in abandoned airports.  It was great while it lasted. 

Further Education:
I finally completed my Matriculation (University Entrance level)   I planned to enter University but entered the family business instead.  It was expected of me I think and I did learn a lot.  However, my heart was really into a couple of other things that required a university level to get into the field.  There was also a time that I was to go to Luther College in Missouri.  I seriously considered it and even went down to talk with them.  I was given acceptance but at the last minute, something came up to stop the move.  This school was for the study of theology and designed to lead to the ministry.     

In school there were no particular courses that could give me what I really wanted with the exception of Basic Accounting and General Business Management.  However, I could learn enough about accounting locally and as far as Business Management was concerned, I could learn from the best teacher, my own father.  However, it turns out that the world of business was changing and by learning from my father I did business more with my heart then my brain.  That meant that the business took on a personality and we did not make the smart moves when we should have.  I did complete numerous Business Courses provided by Corporations, in Canada, the United States, and even a special program in Japan.  These were hands on methods of doing business in a particular item and market place.  It was not a typical generic education.  As long as I stayed within my own industry I would do okay.  What we did not know was that the lean years of Saskatchewan and 19% interest rates were on the way.  In was the crash of 1985 that was coming, and with the death of my father and everything else, it was simply time to close it all, and that was done in a simple way by the free advise by a very good Bank Manager.  This event, and other issues I got involved with in things that changed things drastically.  It is a loss that has stayed with me until this day. 

 Time Frame 1986 - 1997

Other Moves:

Moved to Calgary, Alberta for a time and then back to Moose Jaw.  (about 1972)
Returned to Calgary in 1991
Transferred to Victoria, BC. in 1992. 
Presently reside in Victoria at the time of this writing. (2010)               

Creator of the Blackwell Genealogy Website.  Interest in this started late in life.  The Memoirs of Lois Clarinda Twichell, my Great, Grandmother were the basis of the website that led to what you see today.  Doing the website had taught me a great deal about my family that I never knew or understood previously.  Had I taken a great interest in the memoirs earlier in my life I may have seen things from a different perspective.  They made for dry reading but there was certainly an educational benefit to me.  That is what prompted the website. 


Present Day
Time Frame 1997 to Present

Sailing and Living on a Sailboat:
It requires an understanding of your needs, as well as your goals.  And if you don't know what they are for sure, being part or your environment offers a great place to explore your requirements.  It has the best and the worst to offer.  It fails in the nice things a home on land offers such as space, a yard and a place to work on the car; the usual things.  However, it counters with new opportunities, experiences, travel and adventure.   It is a place of solitude that is best when that solitude is shared. 

Vida de Oro - Spencer 35 offshore sailboat
Vida in Port Sidney
Photo 246

Roche harbour in the San Juan Islands, WA.
Vida in Roche, WA.
Photo 247

Roche harbour from the air
Roche from the Air
Photo 248



1775 - 2010


Personal Genealogy Lineage or Ron Blackwell:
10.  John Blackwell b. 1775 Cowley, Gloucester, England             Great Great Great Grandfather
10.2  George Blackwell b. 1801 Cowley, Gloucester, England            Great Great Grandfather
10.2.4  George Blackwell b. 1834 Cheltenham, Gloucester, England     Great Grandfather  John Ernest Blackwell b. 1877
Wingham, Ontario                       Grandfather  Ernest Henry Blackwell b. 1913  Brandon, Manitoba                     Father  Ronald Ernest Blackwell b. 1945 Melfort, Saskatchewan

Adopted daughters: Carolyn Blackwell  b. 1966 Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Melanie Blackwell  b. 1970 Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

I am in the 15th Generation of the Blackwell Family that assumed it's timeline from the Twichell Family that dates back to 1460 in England.  Lois Twichell was my Great Grandmother.  Her
Memoirs are full of information about people from the early days of Minnesota.  It is a wonderful story of hardship, family and the experiences of the original Pioneers.  It has everything in it from the Civil War to the Indian War of Minnesota.  The people of this time have been called "The Greatest Generation:  I agree.

Message - "Simplify Your Life"
My Hero
My Heroes
Mr. Keith East, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan - Friend (deceased)
Mrs. Lillian Switzer, Melfort, Saskatchewan - Grandmother (deceased)
Mr. Bernard Moitessier, Oceans of the World - Sailor (deceased)

Favourite Authors
Bernard Moitessier
Louis L'Amour
Audrey Niffenegger


"There are two terrible things for a man.
Not to have fulfilled his dream, and to have fulfilled it"
                                           ...from "The Long Way"  by Bernard Moitessier
                                              Circumnavigator aboard
sv 'Joshua'

Bernard Moitessier is a sailor who has sailed around the earth, seen more then his share of storms of all strengths, and through it all, he never lost sight of the fact that he was part of it all, not the cause nor the victim.  His observations of how our planet is being treated, has led him to conclusions I concur with. However, the essence of his book is how he identified with life on the sea.  From the sound of the water running past his boat's hull, to the way the birds behaved, the sound of the wind, the timing and twinkling of the stars, and the rings around the sun.  All these things communicated their intent to Moitessier of what was to unfold in the way of weather.  Simply, he was in touch with his environment through his experiences.  He was a man who was able to identify the naturalness of all life, including his own.  In reading his book I identified with certain aspects of his thinking.  Certainly, his life was at risk at almost every turn, but then, in life, it is for all of us.  Yet, through it all, he overcame that issue and concentrated on the life around him. He gained something remarkable.  You can hear it in his words, and see it in his successes.  The very thing that many sailors feared are what Moitessier clung too.  He was part of the environment in the most physical way.  I think he became so close to it that he learned to communicate with it through understanding it's changes. This, I believe is part of the reason he was as successful as we was when at sea.  He was a man who was in charge of his own destiny on the sea, and understood his place when the sea 'became angry'.

Quote from Moitessier:
"You can spoil everything trying to go faster then nature."

Bernard Moitessier during the Golden Globe Race
Bernard Moitessier during the Gold Globe Race
He died of cancer on 16 June 1994 and is buried in Bono, in Brittany, France.
Photo 249
A Link for more information

Click to Enlarge



"Solitude is best when shared"
                                       ... Ron Blackwell